Sunday, April 10, 2016

Visible Differences of Australia (MCS)

As much as I was told that I would notice cultural differences and experience highs and lows of being in a place very different than my own home country, to me Australia and the United States aren’t that different on an everyday level. Yes, there are obviously differences like the accents, driving on the opposite side of the road, and the various environments and climates. Being a person that doesn’t focus well on specifics however, in general on a regular day in Townsville; the people, buildings, and culture do not differ much from Meadville. Sometimes I even forget that I am in a different country. It’s not as if I am being attacked by Australia’s dangerous critters on an average day at the University or experiencing that friendly Australian mentality while passing people on the path to class. Maybe it’s the fact that my classes are filled with people from all over the world that I no longer notice the difference in accents.

            What I eat in Australia, the types of places they are purchased from and grown, and when people eat are very similar to America. Obviously there are different things on the menu that are specific to the regions like kangaroo and meat pies, but that’s very similar to traveling to somewhere in the US. The way people look and dress is very similar as well, though it never ceases to amaze me how I see some people wearing jeans and long sleeves in a place that rarely is lower than 85 degrees Fahrenheit. 

           Although, when I first came to Australia I instantly noticed how as a country they are much more environmentally sustainable. They actively promote environmental practices like recycling, conserving water, and using non-chemical based products. However, the country's practice doesn't seem to compute over to how people act. Being biased for being used to a relatively green community like Allegheny, I notice so much more littering and unsafe environmental practices on JCU's campus. 
               
          I personally just don’t feel like I ever entered any of the extreme stages on the culture shock graph. I never aggressively loved nor hated Australia (yet). There are some things that I love about being here and some things that I miss about not being home. I honestly have felt perfectly average while being here. Maybe I am just interpreting my feelings or the culture graph incorrectly, but traveling in and around Australia has felt very mentally comfortable the entire time. When I first thought of the study abroad experience, I assumed it would get me out of my comfort range. 


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are having an interesting experience even if Australia isn't much different than America. I feel that although there aren't that many obvious differences they will creep up on you and you may notice them more when you return home and reflect back on your experiences. I know that when I had to write this blog post even though I am in France and there are very obvious differences, I had to sit down and really think about them because they had started to become everyday occurences and I had stopped noticing them.
    Anyways I hope you have a great remainder of your visit!!

    ReplyDelete