Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Obstacles Overcome; Lessons Learned; Now What?: Paris, France (BDZ)

As my study abroad program is coming to an end, I can now reflect on my time spent here, and what I've learned from this experience.  The most difficult and challenging thing I've done while I've been abroad has been adjusting to the work life here in Paris.  Our program includes an internship component, which is completed over 7 weeks for 4 credits.  Work life in Paris has been very different, as the hours of business are not the same as the United States, and of course speaking in a different language for the entire day can be quite challenging, however I believe it's taught me a lot and has increased my language skills tremendously.

The skills most important to my success in this program have been a positive mindset and also a resiliency to keep working hard.  At times this semester, because of the accelerated and condensed schedule, I've felt very stressed out and overworked, however, I kept a positive attitude and kept pushing forward with my work.  Looking back, I feel proud of my accomplishments and also of my academic and personal success this semester.

Regarding my first blog post, titled "The Five Senses", I can definitely say that the formerly unfamiliar has now become familiar.  I feel at home here in Paris, for example, I know the vast metro system like the back of my hand, I know which days of the week will be the least busy at the grocery store, and many other things only the locals know.  I also have acquired the talent to pick out an American from across a crowd, we are often very loud and very lost (lol).  When I return home, I imagine it will take a little time to become immersed in American culture again, however I'm looking forward to returning to family and friends.

I'm truly thankful for my time abroad, as I've learned a lot and have been able to experience a semester of study and work in one of the greets cities in the world.  In terms of making the world your home, I'm not sure about the entire world, but for the last 4 months, Paris has definitely been mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment