Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Education: Buenos Aires (LB)

I knew this part of the trip was going to have to be acknowledged in the blogs at one point or another, which is good so that all of you who think study abroad is just a party... It still is, but studying and class are a big part of it too. Safe to say that I have equally learned as much in the streets as I have in the classroom. The Argentine academic life compared to Allegheny academic life has it´s similarities and many apparent differences. I have no 8 ams (thank God,) but my campus is not a three minute walk, so I end up waking up at 8 am anyway to get ready, eat, and use the over-congested transportation. On a good day it takes about twenty minutes, on a rough day probably 40. The way FLACSO (my university) is set up, I have each class one time a week, however, the class ranges from 2 to 3 hours. We get a break in the middle of class which is a tiny relief because my brain is only programmed to handle the usual 1 hour and 15 minute Tuesday/Thursday class. However, the lecture style is still apparent--Argentine professors love to talk just as much as Allegheny professors. Sometimes it is harder to focus, though, because of the language difference. The latest I get out of school is around 5, in which I have to return home, or just kick it at the CIEE computer lab to use their printers and it is a little easier to focus on my schoolwork (sometimes.)
The thing about FLACSO is that it is such a tiny school. It is mainly for people working on their masters. The classes that I am taking are formed for the CIEE program and the study abroad students, so it is primarily English speaking Americans, minus these two French girls. Everything is still taught in English, and the professors really do not know any English, but understand that some of us have trouble understanding. In turn they can change the pace or use different words. Courses were offered at the other universities such as UBA or UCA, but I found with transportation and with fulfilling my degree requirements, staying in FLACSO would be much more beneficial.
Being here in Buenos Aires and talking to other Argentine students realizes I do not know much about stress in comparison to them.It is hard for someone my age to finish their degree in 4 years. UBA (which is a very, very good university) is free for all Argentinians. However, many students need to work because of the materials for class, transportation, and other bills. They hardly receive any help from their parents because their parents are paying for their regular life essentials (house, food, bills.)
My house mother, Mavi, has mentioned many times that she adores how specific our education system. At Allegheny, the shrine of unusual combinations, makes it so that I can have whichever major/minor or double major or double minor that I want. In the UBA, the categories are much broader. Which I can see why it would be frustrating because a student never really can focus on just one theme of a subject. 
I still have not received any grades yet (we are only about in the fifth week, I just had my first written assignment this week...) but there is a TON of reading. It takes a little longer to complete because it is dense and it is in another language. But it is very good practice and it is interesting how language can change one's perception on a theme. 
Overall, each day that I am taking classes here makes me more grateful for the fifth minute classes at Allegheny. Also I realize that I am blessed to have such a great opportunity as to study abroad and enjoy my time here while learning about a whole other lifestyle. ¡Viva Argentina!

3 comments:

  1. I find it so very interesting that all the way on the other side of the world in a completly different culture and way of life, I can see so many similarities with my own experiences in France. I completely understand how hard it was to go from the shorter class periods to the longer ones. After everyday of school, with two classes a day and each taking up 2 and a half hours, my brain was very overwhelmed. But I got used to it and I realize now that its gonna be weird going back to the shorter class schedules.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! It is so interesting to see the differences between education in America and education in Buenos Aires. Do you find that you are adjusting well with the new methods? Do you think that the teaching style is completely different than that at Allegheny. What are the French girls doing in your class?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete