Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Education: Buenos Aires (YO)

8:00 a.m. is now a time of the day that is late for me. Every weekday, I attempt the ambitious goal of waking up promptly at 7:00 a.m. Hoping to start my usual morning routine around 7:15 a.m. by getting dressed, grabbing my water jug and an apple then heading out the door. This goal isn't always realized since it is common for me not to go to bed until 2 or 3 a.m. where my homework is concerned. It's odd though, because I always go to bed late and wake up early with no problem when I'm at my college in the U.S. On the other hand, my situation here is completely different. A typical weekday for me starts off with getting across town, having a full day of classes then starting my homework. For the most part my days started out simple but as the semester picked up I realized there are some differences here that I really had to get used to. 

For instance, getting across town can be a real challenge, especially if you ride some of the less dependable lines of the metro. For this reason, it's normal for me to leave an hour before my desired time of arrival in order to get where I need to go on time. Sometimes if I have an extra 15 minutes, I spend that time preparing for my two hour, three hour and (you guessed it!) four hour classes. The hours for class here are much different than for most colleges and universities in the U.S. This is because classes are generally only once a week. Therefore, with the hours being different the workload is a lot different too. The idea is that since a class is offered only once a week, students should have more time to work. So for classes that are 3 hours or more, it is a common assignment to have anywhere between 50-200 pages of reading due each week. Due to this, students are evaluated very similar to students in the U.S. in terms of attendance, class participation, written assignments and exams. In many ways the role of the student here is the same as the role of the student in the U.S. Ask questions when you do not understand, engage the material, participate and do the reading! The latter, however, really got the best of me.


A poster at my host (Flacso) university

My initial reaction to several hundred pages of readings was trying to figure out how this was going to be possible if I'm taking seven classes and five of them are all three hours or more. Oh! That's another important difference. It's normal to have 5-7 classes in any given semester for international students. We do this because most of our credits are awarded to us according to the amount of hours of the classes we take. In addition, if you need a full course load like me, that equals out to 18 credits plus some interesting hours and a hefty workload. 


A computer lab at one of my universities.
Class schedules are also very different. Students are free to take classes that start at 7 in the morning or ones that end at 11 at night. This is common in the local universities of Buenos Aires because many students have full-time jobs and/or families to take care of. Therefore, there is a wide range of hours available for students. This was also an adjustment for me since classes at my home university never go past 5 p.m. Lastly, things such as a definitive syllabus, the requirements of an assignment or even a place to buy your books is not always as clear cut like most students in the U.S. are use to. 


A hallway at the University of Buenos Aires (UBA)

I think this is closely intertwined with the culture of Argentina which values the appreciation of life and taking one day at time with the things that are most significant to a person. While in the States, many aspects of our lives such as higher education are focused around a "right now" culture or the idea that time is money. In other words, why waste time/money by taking things slow when there is more to gain by getting things done now. 

Nevertheless, many people value higher education in my host country. It is a commonality much like it is in the U.S. However, just like the U.S. extreme poverty is present in the country. So even though education is free for the citizens of Argentina, most people are not going to go off to school in their youth much less during their early years of adulthood if there is no food in their house or if they sleep on the streets. For this reason, many children as young as 7 are not in school but out in the city "working" in order to help increase their families lack of income. Therefore, the people who attend college are the ones who can afford it or another way to put it, students whose families have enough financial stability that they had the opportunity of attending primary and secondary school, thereby being academically prepared to attend college as well. Furthermore, there is a large number of private schools and universities that are not free which also creates a large social, cultural and economic gap between those who can afford it and those who cannot. 

Still, Argentina's educational system is highly valued around the world. Many students in B.A. alone are international and come here to get an in-depth understanding about a myriad of fields of study. This attraction is in part due to students having a multitude of options and a flexible approach to their desired majors at their disposal in order to achieve the type of education they want.

I have learned many things by becoming a part of the educational system in Argentina. I think what I have learned that is most valuable, is how education can take many forms but it's most important form is it's presence and accessibility. Before this semester in B.A., I was aware of the shortcomings of the educational system in the U.S. and abroad. Still, experiencing how education is a necessary commodity, much like food or shelter has also left a lasting impression on me. Like all commodities education can only be accessed if it can be afforded. So while education reform has become an issue that cuts across borders, we have to look at its intersectionality with issues such as the cost of living, affordable housing and healthcare. I believe there is no justice in a country having world class education available if only a select few can take advantage of it. This is what I'll take back to Allegheny. In addition to incorporating long, flexible hours to my academic life, I will continue to remember that my education is a blessing and a necessity all in one. Even though it can be stressful in many ways, like all things worth having it is worth working hard for. Above all, my education is something that I plan to tangibly use, hoping that one day I will be a part of making necessary changes so that everyone can have access to the same opportunities not only in theory but in practice as well.

2 comments:

  1. The differences between education systems are really interesting to hear about. I can definitely see how only having one class per week could make scheduling work while doing school easier, but it sounds like the assignments are substantial and could be difficult for those who have trouble pacing themselves and organizing themselves. Do you find that this format of taking classes allows you to take your assignments at a pace that works well for you, or do you find those due dates creep up on you? Is it some combination of the two? And how will you go about taking these new approaches to learning back to Allegheny, where the education system is structured differently?

    I also loved hearing your reflections on poverty, education, and intersectionality. Making university free is a step but doesn't fix everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Catherine! And yes, getting used to the structure of the classes here is still something that I am figuring out. Honestly, assignments for some classes are just easier to map out than others. It's the longer classes where I really have to pace myself and be cognizant of the assignments all throughout the week really.

      In terms of tangibly taking these new approaches to higher education back to Allegheny, I think the work I'm doing here will help a lot with my senior project. Here you find the classes that you are most passionate/excited about, figure out a schedule and make it work for the semester. This is very similar to the senior project in my opinion. Find the work I want to do and stay committed to it!

      Delete