Friday, April 15, 2016

Visible Differences Buenos Aires LB

The first day of the FLACSO program, our professors had us do an exercise. There were a pile of cards, each card contained one value (examples: family, capitalism, happiness... ect.) We were split into two group and given the task to split the pile of fifty some cards into the top five values and the bottom five. The group that I was in had a tough time making the list black and white, our 'maybe' pile was heavily stocked. I feel like the problem was that we were torn with what we thought Americans should hold higher up (family & friend relationships, happiness, health) and not what it is actually, (capitalism, being numero uno, and freedom.) The professors then proceeded to compare it to Argentinean values, (family & friend relationships were at the top, to have a good time, and politics) while the bottom was more filled with (health, (a lot of people down here smoke and eat very unhealthy) and money.)
Being here for almost two months it still takes some getting used to. I always finding myself comparing people or things to home. Even as simple as something on the route to school (as I do everyday) everything still sets off as a stimulus. Argentinians have NO FEAR. They are social butterflies and do not care who you are or what the situation is, if you interest them or have a question, they will turn it into a full on discussion. "De donde sos? Oh America.. which estate? (They always put e's in front of anything that begins with 's' whenever they talk in English) Oh Pennsylvania? I have friend in California, is that close?" It's hard not to fall in love with how nice the people are here, but sometimes it is a lot. Personal space does not exist here. In the club, guys will just grab you and begin to dance, as if it's all good. Being the strong willed female I am, I was not used to such a "machisto" society. I've explained to a couple guys, "Just because I am a female does not mean that you can touch up all on me." But they don't care, and then they're gone. Just don't take it personally and let em know how it's gonna go.

Another thing here is everyone is close to their clan. Most people are still friends with their whole kindergarten class and talk to them on a regular basis. So the last couple of times that I have been to a gathering, I have met the cousins, the nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles, and soccer teammates. I am already kind of used to this, coming from such a big family, but to see these people still talk to friends (many friends) from a long time ago, it doesn't give me faith in Americans abilities to hold ties.
I keep thinking how Argentina is kind of behind on the times. They are all obsessed with rock music (if I see one more Ramones t-shirt or Rolling Stones bookbag I might die) and they're style is very 70s/80sish. Girls have platform shoes, bright colors, long hair, and leather pants. There is this hairstyle in guys that is going on (it needs to end, seriously) that is a mullet/rat tail that is in a dreadlock/braid thing. It's hard to explain, but I don't see why it is pleasing.
Another thing is that in conversation there is no "political correctness." In America we are taught to avoid three things in conversation; religion, politics, and money. My last ride in a taxi to the International Migrations House, my cab driver hit each topic in a matter of five minutes. He explained his political views, why he was a God fearing man, and how much money he made a year and how they all interchanged and connected. At first, I felt awkward about it, but after I realized he wasn't fazed, I mellowed out too. Argentina has had me open up so much, and just not stress out about things that Americans hold highly (like being on time.) Argentinians have a reputation of being late (like a good 5-10 minutes.) My professors usually roll in about 10:15 for a 10 am. I can get used to this lifestyle for sure.

Something that I can't seem to get used to is the eating times. Argentinean (as I mentioned before) love to party late. So their dinner time is around 10 pm. Restaurants usually close at 4 and reopen at 8. Me, being a dedicated early dinner eater (at a healthy 5) is usually dying of starvation once grandma tells us dinner is on the table. My Argentinian friends usually bully me for always starving around 5. "Lynnn todavia tenemos 5 horas!" (We still have 5 hours!) It is what it is. There's usually a cafe open were I can munch on a medialuna for the time being.
Lastly, PDA is totally acceptable here. First off, everyone greets everyone with a kiss on a cheek. Boys and girls, girls and girls, even boys and boys. And everyone is very touchy. Couples will make out on the subway, parents are always kissing and hugging their kids, even elderly people are getting some love. In America, PDA is so shunned it's not even funny. "Get a room!" or "Save it for later!" are usually common. We each have our personal space and it's usually just that. A lot of my friends here joke around that a great amount of Americans are just miserable and don't want to see anyone else happy. But it is what it is.
It is hard to let go of America because it is such a dominant culture. Even here there is so much American influence, such as pop culture. But, I feel like my personality is changing and there is so much I have learned and opened my eyes to from being here in such a short time. Especially with learning everything in Spanish, you begin to look at everything from a different perspective and become more patient. To quote the Great Gatsby,

"Whenever you feel like criticizing any one, just remember that all of the people in the world haven't  had the advantages  that you've had."

That is all. Bless up. 

1 comment:

  1. I have come to similar findings in Buenos Aires. I had an experience last week as well in the taxi cab, where the taco driver wanted to hear all about my views of argentine politics. When we go to my destination we stayed in the car talking for 15 more minutes just to continue the conversation. The being late to class thing really seems to be popular in other cultures. Could you imagine if that happened during classes at Allegheny. Do you feel that the relaxness in the classroom changes the atmosphere and the way you learn? What are your thoughts about the PDA? Finally, have you found any cute guys with the rat-tail mullet look going on yet?!

    ReplyDelete