Monday, April 25, 2016

Interpersonal Relationships: Australia (MCS)

        For me, the friends you keep can make or break the experience and feelings you have towards a place. The most at home I’ve felt in Australia is when I am joking around and talking to a group of my friends. The routine of going to classes, having meals with friends, and doing homework is the exact same as Allegheny; just a different place and different people. Recently I traveled to New Zealand for our week-long lecture recess here and even though I traveled with the same friends I do everything else with, the lack of routine affected us greatly.



      Culturally, I’ve found that Australia and America are very similar. Therefore, individualism here is embraced as it would be in America. That being said, when it comes to gender, sexuality, and respect of the individual, it is a lot less prevalent in the news and in general conversation. I think I’ve only conversed with one person about any of these topics in the 3 months that I have been here versus the many times these topics will come up in conversation per week at Allegheny. I think it’s a lot more accepted by the younger generation as in America, because it has become a norm. However, the older generations, though they don’t seem to be as verbal about it as back in the states, are less warm to the ideas of same-sex marriage and undefined gender, etc. as their children. Though as most issues in America and in Australia, I think the opinion is entirely reliant upon the individual. 

      For new students who have just been accepted into study away programs my only advice is to come to your host country with an open mind. Like most new places, there will be things you hate and there will be things you love. Embrace the differences and you will learn to adjust. You will probably only be in that country for a short amount of time, so if there are things that you cannot stand, know that you will only have to endure them for a few months. The study abroad experience is what you make of it. You won’t always be comfortable but that’s part of the reason you came to study abroad. No matter what, it will be a life altering experience and enjoy every bit of time you can because it will go by quickly.

2 comments:

  1. It's so interesting that different countries across the world are going through such an important transitional phase with their younger generations. Much like the United States and Australia, Argentina is also beginning to acknowledge the fluidity of identity that can be present within any given individual. It truly is a slow process but one that I am happy is finally beginning to take place, especially within our own generation. It is even more phenomenal to think about this in the international context and to observe the differences and similarities that cut across our borders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very interesting to me that there are so many similarities between Australian and American culture. It seems like the generation gap creates strong differences in opinion, although I feel that in America it seems that our older generation is also accepting of same gender marriage, the difference between generations is quite distinct when it comes to these views. It fascinates me that things like this can be shared between cultures from other sides of the world! Enjoy the rest of your experience!!

    ReplyDelete