Thursday, April 14, 2016

Visible Differences: Australia (MAS)

As far as countries to study abroad in goes, I really could not have picked one more similar to America.  The language is the same and for the most part, the clothes, religion, transportation, and technology are very similar to the majority of America.  However, I am from a small town and Allegheny isn't exactly located in a major city so I do not have the same experiences as other Americans.  Therefore, I have noticed some differences between my Uni in America vs. Australia.

The food around Australia can be similar to America depending on the restaurant but I find there to be a greater variety of restaurants here to choose from: Indian, Thai, Japanese, Italian, Chinese, Greek, and Mexican; my town from the States only has one Italian and one Greek place.  On campus, food is served Brooks style (buffet) but there is one option for lunch (ham sandwiches) and one option for dinner (either spaghetti bolognese, chicken schnitzel, curry, or roast); A.K.A. Brooks is a feast with all the wonders of the world.  Food quality is definitely not the highest priority here.

The clothes and personal appearances are very similar to the more tropical places of America (Florida, Southern California).  But since I am from northwestern PA, I am not used to seeing so many singlets (tank tops) and thongs (flip flops) for months on end!  I would say people dress nicer here in Townsville (you don't see many people in just t-shirts and shorts), but that may be because it is more of a city than I am used to (and it's a lot warmer).  The average outfit for girls would be either a playsuit (romper), a sundress, or stylish shorts and a singlet.  Meanwhile at home, most girls dress more comfortably in leggings or sweatpants and jumpers (hoodies) are a must in Meadville.

In Meadville, you also need a car if you want to get to most places away from campus (Woodcock, the golf course).  But the public transportation here is much better and takes you to a wide range of places.  My friends and I take the buses at least once or twice a week.  We get a student discount so the fare is not too bad ($1.40 to the shopping center, $2.50 into Town).  In the major cities like Sydney and Melbourne, everyone either walks or takes the subway or buses.  But unlike America, you must take planes to get from one city to another.

Just the other day I was waiting at the bus stop for a shopping trip to prepare for a field trip when I realized that I really am in a different country experiencing a different culture.  In less than a week I will be leaving to do research on an island not too far from campus!  It still amazes me that we are going snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef for class.  Anyway, I also took note of the abundance of palm trees, people dressed for summer, the weirdly named stores around me, getting my strange coins out for bus fare, and all the little things easily overlooked on a day-to-day basis.

In general Australia is very similar to America but things like brand names and people's styles are there to remind me (when I take the time to notice) that I am actually thousands of miles from home.  At first I never thought I would get used to people driving on the wrong side of the road and saying "How you goin' mate" instead of "Hey, how are you doing?" and walking a whole 15 minutes to get to class across campus, but I have adapted quite well.  I am very comfortable here in Australia and I find myself going with the flow so nothing really shocks me anymore.  I love that I consider JCU home now and I can't say as though I particularly keen on going back to America in a couple of months.  There are certain things I miss from the States but I am enjoying every minute of my time here in Australia.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you're having a great time! I like how you included Australian words for things - because though we speak the same language, our words don't always match up and that's really interesting to see. It's interesting to me the way different places deal with food - in France, there may not be very many food options, but there are always a few things to choose from, and they're surprisingly pretty good. So it's interesting to me that there lunch and dinner are only one option, which doesn't seem to vary much. I'm sure there are all kinds of interesting cross-cultural comparisons we could make on people's relationship with food!

    ReplyDelete