Sunday, April 10, 2016

Obstacles Overcome; Lessons Learned; Now What? (Bangalore)

The most difficult thing that I have done so far in India has been to deal with the language barriers that exist here. So far I have been able to get an extremely basic grasp of the Kannada language allowing me the opportunity to negotiate my way throughout the city with efficiency and ease. The skills I think helped the most in my away success has been learning to take things in peacefully. Even if you have no idea what is going on around you and you do not know how to handle a particular situation.. it is best to handle the situation with grace and to keep moving forward. Perhaps the most complex problem I had been forced to solve is the problem of how I should deal with auto rickshaws. Being my mode of transportation each and every day, I had to overcome dealing with the constant overcharging and bad driving associated with taking an auto. I feel like when I get home, the formerly familiar would not have become the familiar having been replaced by the familiarity of India. Instead, I feel like I would simply be familiar with a wider span of geography cumulatively than I was before. 

4 comments:

  1. It seems like you really reflected upon how you have changed throughout your semester in India. How much longer do you have? It is interesting that you explain that your horizon has been broadened in a way. Do you feel like India has now become the familiar? Will you be taking back any specific aspects of the culture? Do you have any traditions that you wish to carry back to your american life?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The language barrier is a huge obstacle to overcome, and being in New York I didn't have to worry about such things, but living somewhere where the people speak a different language really draws into necessity harboring invention. I have always wanted to go somewhere that I didn't know the language and then force myself to learn simply because I had do. Also, the rickshaws seem like they were really stressful, and I bet US transportation will seem all the better because of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like what you've taken away from study abroad - just taking things in peacefully. It sounds like through your experience you've gained some useful experiences of just going with the flow and have maybe become more adaptable. That sounds really valuable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you have had a very unique experience! Most of us in countries that do not speak English have been studying the language for several years at Allegheny. How long did it take you to feel comfortable navigating the city on your own? I have to admit, sometimes I still feel like my French is a bit rough and I have been studying it for over 3 years.

    ReplyDelete