Monday, February 15, 2016

My Senses in Angers, France (AS)

The sun drifting away in Place du Ralliement
After reading an article by Brent Crane titled for a More Creative Brain, Travel, I too hope that my abroad experience will allow me to become a more creative, expressive, intelligent, and understanding part of any community. It is no easy feat to step outside of your own comfort zone and into an unknown world, but for me, this has been the opportunity I have been waiting for since my oldest sisters studied abroad. I have to admit that there were quite a few moments where I was internally freaking out. Thankfully in the end, all irrational fears and worries faded due to the fact that this already has been an amazing adventure. It is easier to look into my life in Angers, France by splitting these experiences into separate categories
Sight
Even though Angers is not the biggest city in France, there is so much to discover.
Me within the gate of an interior building in the Château d'Angers
One of my favorite things to do when I travel to a new city is walk around and really take in where I am in the world. It is strange being in a city that is older than my country. The locals here walk past the Château d'Angers like it is just another McDonalds. Every time I walk past this impressive building I can't help but to try to vision all of the different historical events happened within and around those 50ft + walls. There are so many breathtaking views to soak in here, if only it were possible to share all of the sights with the world, but unfortunately photos don’t do them entirely justice.
Wall of the Château d'Angers

Sound

            The immersion into a new language is different than I had originally envisioned. There are a lot of negative stereotypes of the French not liking foreigners or tourists; luckily I have been encouraged to use my French whenever and wherever I go. All of the positive feedback has made my experience much easier and makes using the language like it is natural, that is until there’s something that I do not know how to say properly. Those times, although seldom, are frustrating. There are moments at the end of the day where it can be moderately exhausting to keep up the French, yet one must persevere.
           On a different note, there is a sound that I am most definitely missing from home. Even in the middle of winter, I am able to crack open my window and hear some sort of bird singing their song. It can be very quiet outside of the city center. I am hoping that this will change as the warmer months arrive. I am appreciating all of the French music that has come about here though. It is a nice change of pace.




"New sounds, smells, language, tastes, sensations, and sights spark different synapses in the brain and may have the potential to revitalize the mind."


Smell
            Nothing says good morning on my walk to class bright and early in the morning quite like the aroma of the local boulangeries. Two weeks in and I am still not sick of the smell or the taste of a fresh baguette or the superior pain au chocolat. The one smell that I wouldn’t mind living the rest of my life without though is the smell of a cigarette. That is a sacrifice I am willing to take though if I get to smell the boulangeries or patisseries. I absolutely love my host mother’s cooking as well. It fills up the house with an aroma that pleases the soul after a long day of classes. Bringing me to my favorite sense...
 
Fresh bread and cheese from the local market
Taste
            Being a little bit of a foodie, I have been going nuts over all of the delicious and traditional French dishes. As I write this, I am feasting on an assortment of macarons that I bought from the local market. Recently, my go to lunch has been a baguette with the French equivalent of salami, butter, and pickles. Seems moderately gross, quite the opposite. I have to say that I am pleased with the amount of fois gras I have been able to eat since I arrived in France as well. Nothing, and I mean nothing; will ever compete with my love for cheese. If there was one thing, other than school that I looked forward to in France, it was the copious amounts of delicious cheese that would soon be in my belly. At the local farmers market, my first stop was the cheese stand that was glowing towards the back of the lot. I made the mistake of only buying one small sliver of cheese (photo above). It’s safe to say that it didn’t last too long in my hands.
Limbé, my roommate, and I

Touch
           
            Much like Catherine, my first French friend was Limbé, who is also my roommate. There are also two dogs in the house here too. It made leaving my precious babies at home a little easier (not the same, easier). Other than petting animals, touch is a little harder to explain when exploring a new city. One thing that I certainly feel is the fact that my feet do not like the confinement of rain boots. Even if the weather says 50 and sunny, DON’T TRUST IT! It will rain, for about ten minutes, and you will be outside in it when it happens.


Overall, this has been the experience of a lifetime, and I am so happy that it is all just starting! There are so many adventures to happen. Next weekend I am off to Mont Saint-Michel! À Bientôt!

No comments:

Post a Comment