Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Cultural Identity and Intercultural Communication: Angers, France (BB)

For this blog post, I condensed several different conversations that I had with my host mother over dinner. She has been a wonderful resource for me, from helping me learn the French language to sharing her own life experiences to aid my understanding of the French culture. I have reflected back on a few conversations and experiences I have had with her since arriving in France, and I think that the topics I address in this blog post are interesting.



The first thing I want to talk about is the very different ways that the French and Americans view marriage. My older sister is getting married this year, and even though I am halfway across the world, I am still helping her plan it via email. While it is getting increasingly more common for young American couples to live together and have children without being married, there is still a bit of a taboo on it. It is also just recently that having children out of wedlock has become socially acceptable in the United States, and it also depends on where you live. After speaking with my host mother in France, I realized that most French people have the opposite view. My host mother told me that she has never been married, but she has two adult children. In France, she said it is almost more common for people to remain unmarried even if they are raising children. It is simply part of life here in France, and aside from a few very religious or very traditional people, it is not even something that crosses the minds of most people. I am used to articles and news stories in the United States that discuss high divorce rates, the plight of the single mother, and just the general instability that comes with raising a family without the bonds of marriage. I personally come from a family where my parents have been married for nearly thirty years, and I grew up in a town where most of my friends' parents were either married or had been married at one point. I just found it incredibly interesting that, for two countries that are so similar as far as standards of living and most other factors of day to day life, that something so ingrained in tradition like marriage would be so different. Before speaking to my host mother, I never gave it much thought, but now I realize that something that is barely discussed in France is almost always a topic of conversation in the United States when one is talking about relationships or family.


My host mother and I also have what would roughly translate to “tea time” in English every Sunday afternoon. It is just an informal bonding time where we talk or watch a bit of television and share a snack and some tea to unwind after a long week. At first I thought my host mother just did this so we would have time to spend together when we were both free, but I learned last week that most of France shuts down on Sundays. I remember mentioning that I was planning to go grocery shopping on a Sunday, and my host mother told me that nothing is open after noon on Sundays. Most of the bus lines in town do not even run because in France, Sunday is simply a day to relax and none of the shop workers want to work on Sundays. In the United States, especially being a student, I'm used
to the weekend being a time to play catch-up. I may have a few hours to relax here and there, but I spend a majority of my weekend doing schoolwork that I didn't have time to finish during the week or running errands that I didn't have time to do during the week because I was too busy with classes. I think that Americans could definitely learn something from the French. While it is a bit inconvenient that you can't even run out for milk or bread on a Sunday, it is refreshing to be able to spend an entire day relaxing at home. Its also a guilt-free time because there is nothing else that you could possibly be doing if nothing is open. I feel like a lot of people in the United States spend their entire weekends rushing around and they don't take enough time to relax and just spend time with their family or friends. If I take home one tradition with me from my time spend abroad, I will definitely try to make more time on the weekends to just recharge and reconnect with the people I care about instead of rushing around trying to catch up on work or chores.

No comments:

Post a Comment