Thursday, February 25, 2016

Cultural Identity and International Communication (AS)

The saying “home is where the heart is” resonates in my head a lot when walking down the streets of Angers. I have yet to find my home here. It has only been a few weeks, so hopefully that will arise soon. Yet what would classify as the heart in this situation, creating a home? For me, it is a feeling of comfort or the acceptance of uncomfortable circumstances in what would be the home. I currently have been tackling some small issues with my host family, which has made it harder to feel at home in what is supposed to be my home away from home. I hope to have happier news on the living situation soon, but that doesn’t keep me from falling in love with the city of Angers.
            Angers is a beautiful city filled with so much life. I am, for the most part, pleased beyond all belief to be in this city. There is only really one thing that bothers me though, all the smoke. Unfortunately, it seems that no matter where, so long as I am in France, I am in a smoking zone. In movies and on TV, even in books, the French character always has a cigarette in hand. In the US, the view upon smoking and those who smoke are a bit different than here. As a non-smoker, I feel as though I am the minority. As much as one has control of their own body and what they out into it, the secondhand smoke agitates my asthma, making it much more difficult to breathe. This is the norm though; smoking is still okay for those who want to smoke. It is a social activity of French culture.
            I have not been asked a lot about American culture besides the questions from my professors. When people ask if I am American they are either thrilled and ask me twenty million questions about the upcoming elections (which I learned that I actually know a lot more about politics than I let myself believe) or give me a look like I just vomited on them.  I know that the US has done some things in the past that are unfavorable to any country, but I still am proud to be American. It is not a label to be ashamed of. The United States is and forever will be my home. I am not someone that runs around waving the biggest American flag with a beer in hand and screaming ‘Murica or anything, but I love my home. Answering questions about the US is satisfying because I am able to share that there is more than just Donald Trump and fast food restaurants.
            The only real conversation I was able to get out of my host mother was that on the subject of same sex marriage. During dinner, when it is just the two of us, we listen to the radio and we eat. Something about the difficulty of marriage came up and I asked her if she knew of any married same sex couples. She said something along the lines of that she had friends who were “roommates” or “neighbors who decided it would be more economically beneficial to live together” (which was actually what she said) and anything else that would cover the fact that they were indeed a couple. It still bothers me that, no matter where in the world I am, there are still issues concerning same sex
marriage. This hits close to home to me because, as I explained to her, my best friend and his boyfriend were picking out engagement rings and were asking my opinion (yay!). She seemed shocked that it could just easily be done like that “in the open”. She then asked me if I knew any couples that were already married, and I realized that this is an issue in France more so than in my life in the states. I explained how in high school, one of my friends had two moms, but weren’t as open about their relationship. My best friend in college has two moms. I have friends who are completely open about their life and how they live it. That’s how it should be; it’s normal. My host mother thought it was great that things seemed so easy, and I tried to explain to her that there are still things that the US needs to work on.

On a different note, I want France to be my home away from home. There will always be things that I will want from home (right now its Chipotle) but I know that when I go home, all I will want is French bread and cheese. Sometimes it is hard to adjust to a new way of life, luckily I’m in a beautiful, welcoming city with so much more to learn about their, and other surrounding cultures.

No comments:

Post a Comment