Thursday, February 25, 2016

Education, Lancaster, MN



OK. School. The reason we are all here. Well let me begin by saying that Lancaster University is a lovely place. They have a wider range of programs at Allegheny so I am able to take a wide variety of classes here. Instead of just econ courses I am taking a mix of Business law, information systems, and marketing classes. Overall, it is proving to be an interesting experience. Since I am an econ major, and a rather blunt person, I am just going to write a nice bulletined list of things that have surprised me here:

1. At Allegheny I usually had class for 3 hours a day on average, whereas at Lancaster I have 7 hours of class a week. I have so much free time it's nuts. I don't know what to do with myself. Luckily, 2 minutes off campus looks like this:

Fun Fact: I think Bilbo Baggins probably lives on the other side of that hill
I think I'll find something to do with my time :)
 
2. Our entire grade boils down to a final exam that is about 3 short essay questions. It's only a little intimidating. Luckily you get like 3 months to study for these exams, so it shouldn't be that bad, right? Anyways I feel confident that I will be just fine. 

3. People here really feel no need to go to a lecture. You don't know what awkward is until you and just 20 other people are in a lecture hall made for 200. I feel like everyone generally attends class at Allegheny, since the professor is bond to notice in a class of 15 kids.

4. Professors don't really use text books here. Instead they just assign 30+ recommended readings from bits and pieces of random books. Which can be kinda confusing. I feel like a professor at Allegheny, at least in the Econ dept, sticks to like 2 text books maximum. Also most of these books can only be accessed online by one student at a time via the library.  Here is a picture of one of my e-books explaining how the internet works:
*crying in a corner cus this is hard*
5. Other students here feel rather secure about their futures. While not everyone is guaranteed a 6 figure salary, everyone feels like they will come out of Uni with the ability to support themselves. Whereas back home, there is a greater competitive spirit to be the best, get a job with the most powerful firm, etc. 

6. Lancaster's sustainability movement makes Allegheny's look like child's play. They have a huge ES department and not to mention a giant wind turbine towering above campus. Every light is motion detectable so you can't leave the lights on. In general, being more sustainable is more ingrained in England culture than in the US, which is what makes the biggest difference, in my opinion. Just look:    
Ironically this tree was flown in from California...not very sustainable
 Yep. That's a tree. In a Library. How Eco-friendly is that?

 7. Living here is similar at Lancaster, in the manner that most people live on campus. However, many second years traditionally live in town, but return the campus for their third year.  Many more people live together in flats or townhouses on campus. For example I live in a 12 person town house with 9 men. Ever wondered what it's like to have brothers? Come to my townhouse and you'll find out. Fortunately, I get along very well with my housemates because I am usually down to play pool and watch 300 or something. 

8. There are little to none social-class barriers in England Education since Uni here is actually affordable (*gasp* what a concept!).  So pretty much anyone who wants to further their education can if they want. However, many of the exchange students, especially those from Asia appear incredibly wealthy.  For example, there is one kid who sits next to me in my e-commerce class who has a blue, unidentified reptile (I suspect sting ray) skin jacket. This jacket is probably an Alexander McQueen and is worth more than my entier bank account. While most students from the UK or Europe seem to come from Blue Collar families. Everyone does seem to co exist in the end. This is different than Allegheny, since most students are pretty well off seeing they can manage the tuition. 

9. I really do miss Allegheny professors. They are the best. Professors here never really learn your name, even in upper level class. Most professors only have one office hour a week. Just one :( Oh well. The classes are developed in a manner that you shouldn't need to talk to your professor to grasp a concept or plan a project. However, I still miss the dedication Allegheny Faculty has for their students.

Belgian Waffles in Bruges, Belgium
The Atomium: the Eiffel Tower of Belgium
Overall, this has been a readjustment, but I have a feeling the biggest readjustment will happen when I return home. Lancaster University is a great school and I am defiantly learning new things. It is crazy that I have been here for almost 2 months. I have so much planned ahead, I can't wait to share all the memories!
                   

2 comments:

  1. It’s interesting to hear how students in other countries feel about their future. When talking with students here they share a lot of the same stresses that tend to be felt at Allegheny; the pressure to be successful after undergraduate, the strain of thinking about school loans, the worry about not being able to find a job, and like you talked about the competitive nature to be better. It makes you think about what and how each country prioritizes. Success here is very much related to career success, which we reach using our education. Potentially, students in foreign countries may not put so much weight on their future jobs so school becomes less stressful?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The education system at Lancaster seems wonderful. Not only am I not taking classes while in New York, but I am surrounded by artists who all have no assurance that art will work out for them and that's why we're all here. It would be awesome to be confident that upon graduation I will be able to support myself. However I can't relate to your free time! That's awesome that you can really explore all while still taking classes. Especially such concentrated classes. It definitely seems like readjusting will be one of the hardest parts of this experience for you. Also, good luck on your final!

    ReplyDelete