Friday, February 5, 2016

Cultural Identity and Intercultural Communication

In conversing with my Indian friends and host family I have come to have a better understanding of the image Americans have in the international community. There are many generalizations made about American culture. These are chiefly derived from stereotypes portrayed in Hollywood movies and other forms of media.

One of the most interesting misconceptions about American culture is that Americans lack family values. I find this particularly interesting because family values seem to play a big role in our culture, even when it comes to elections candidates often stress there strong family connections. Further, when I look at advertising most things a marketed towards families eating dinner together or partaking in other various activities and spending time with each other. I know specifically for myself family has always been a large commitment in my life and family time is one of the things on the forefront of my agenda. When speaking with my host father he was astounded that none of my grandparents, who are all in their 80s, do not live with me and still live independently and drive. Here in India after retirement most people move in with their children who often take care of them until they pass away. This is not totally uncommon in the United States but it is interesting that almost everyone relies on their children after retirement even if they are still capable of living on their own.

Another difference in family relations in India is the close relationships between distant cousins. In the US I know my second cousins decently well and see them at various family functions but beyond that I don't see them very often let alone know my third or fourth cousins. When I asked my friend Cheryl about family norms she said it was totally normal to be very close with your second, third and fourth cousins in India.

The other thing from my interviews that I found to be very interesting is Indian's impression on religion in America. It is often believed that Americans are vastly atheist. This is very interesting because at home I have many friends that consider themselves atheist or agnostic, however, this is only indicative of a small minority in the US. For the native American it is very clear that most Americans hold a strong religious belief, most dominantly christian, and that it, fortunately or unfortunately, pervades all corners of American culture especially the political realm and is the basis for some of the most hotly debated issues the country faces.

I also found that, at least in south India, there is a lot of religious acceptance. I have met multiple hindus, christians and muslims and everyone, for the most part, gets along together. There is not ostracizing of someone whose practices differs from yours. There are many temples, mosques and churches interspersed around Bangalore. Daily you can hear the muslim call to prayer which is something I don't ever get to hear at home and which I think a lot of closed minded or misinformed Americans would have a very large and vocal problem with.

Finally, an over-arching impression that I got from my interviewees and from my time in India is that many of the (mis)conceptions about Americans are held by young people in India and stem from a lack of exposure to true American culture or to American individuals. As these young Indians age and learn more and have more exposer to the international community and to Americans they start to understand we do hold many similar values but that we simply have a different way of executing those values. 

5 comments:

  1. The importance of family is exactly the same in Mexico. My host mother has eleven siblings, and my host father has five (or maybe six?) so every time I attend a family event it's slightly overwhelming how many cousins/nephews/nieces/aunts I have to meet! But I love the close emphasis on family, because it really helps me adapt and feel welcomed in this culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's very interesting that America seems to lack family values, but I do agree that it has to do with our difference in executing those values rather than a lack thereof. I also know that, especially in New York, family doesn't mean those you are connected to by blood; family means those who you connect with, support, and who support you. I've found through this artists' community that I am in here that the family is the community, and that there is no distinction between those connected by blood and those connected by choice. The love for one another is all the same.
    As for religious acceptance, there is some truth in the fact that America tends to ostracize certain groups in certain communities, and I do see the truth in a sense of atheism where I am. Actually, most of the people who I am around see their art as their religion, not defining themselves as "Catholic" or "Buddhist".
    It seems that many of these perceptions are based on some truths in the US, however since there is such a mixture of cultures here, there is no way to generalize the ideologies of the whole country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also living in India, I can say that it is a fair point to bring up the Indian perspective on Americans not having family values. Honestly, aside from shock, I have found many Indians to be ashamed to hear that my grandparents do not live with me at home and I have been lectured about it many times.

    I agree that the misconceptions of America by Indians come from lack of exposure to the United States. I was surprised to find that Hollywood movies, singers, etc. are not popular. India is a very proud nation and people prefer to immerse themselves in Indian culture only eschewing Americanization -- a totally fair viewpoint!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that is interesting that India views Americans as non-religious, as I have found the opposite view here in England. The English think that most Americans are very religious. They seem to build this opinion from news stories in American over religious tension and stereotypical characters played in American movies.

    I agree that most of these misconceptions just come from a lack of or limited exposure to American culture. Only examining a culture through movies and Buzzfeed articles would greatly warp one's perception.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Religion is definitely more prevalent in India than in Australia. No one ever mentioned anything about religion in my interviews, but I believe Australia and America are very similar in that regard. That is interesting that their families are so close as well and I wish families in the States were that close to each other! I 100% agree with your point about international exposure. Most people don't get the chance to interact with people from other countries so they have nothing but the stereotypes to base their opinions off of. That's why I think study abroad is so great; we get to exchange the truth about our countries!

    ReplyDelete