Monday, January 25, 2016

The Five Senses: Washington DC

The air is thicker than Allegheny's. The sound is louder than Allegheny's. Surrounded by cars, buses and metro, I realized I'm going to be in a city for this semester. The feeling was unsettling. I've transitioned from a city into rural, now I'm back to the city. Yet, the city wasn't bustling as I expected. There was a sense of calmness in this city. I've spent two weeks in American University. My numb senses have began to heighten and I would began to notice the began the differences between my home school and my new surrounding here, in American University.

Whether I am walking to the main cafeteria or one of my seminar classes, I am constantly hearing English spoken but in varying accents. This is due to the high velocity of international students, not only within the Washington Semester Program, but also throughout the entire university. I was delighted to smell and taste all sorts of ethnic food that I can only assume are served in order to accommodate the international environment.

PS. I have yet to meet another Malaysian.

Upon arrival, I began to notice a change in the professionalism of AU compare to Allegheny, and I have also adapted my own tendency and clothing style in order to fit such an environment. In the morning while getting ready for class, I looked for clothing with more solid colors that would not be distracting. I often observed how people dress up here which has caused me to gravitate towards mix matching interesting texture and patterns in order to look more professional and stylish.

I'm currently under the Journalism and New Media concentration where I have the opportunities to meet high profile journalists on a daily basis. The possibility of networking and creating long-lasting connections with people from all around the world is exhilarating.

PPS. Washington D.C just got hit by the blizzard. Everything is shut down. Back in Allegheny, we still go to class no matter the snow condition, but everything is closed even for tomorrow. This is really bizarre.

CNN CHIEF NATIONAL SECURITY CORRESPONDENT JIM SCIUTTO







5 comments:

  1. As a person who is from the Washington DC region, I have to say it is normal for everything to close for even the threat of lots of snow, haha. When I got to Allegheny I was surprised when President Mullen told us that we would still have school on a day that was going to be -20 degrees.
    I am in Paris right now and am also experiencing the affects of being surrounded by a different fashion sense. The Parisians dress very professional chic and all seem to be very fashionable even when they are in casual clothes. I personally am having trouble fitting in because my personal style is not the same, it is in a way very American and so I feel like every time I go outside my clothes scream "I AM AMERICAN". This can be a double edged sword because I can get targeted more easily by pickpockets and money scams, but also I feel that in a way this can be a good thing because it can encourage people curious about American culture to ask me questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went through a similar transition this semester coming to New York, so I can definitely relate to the culture shock you experienced moving to a city environment. I especially understand the clothing change. At Allegheny there seems to be no need to "dress up" on a daily basis, however in New York what is considered to be casual would be "dressed up" by Allegheny standards. It is very fun though to dress professionally however, because it makes me feel more like a working professional as opposed to a student living in the city.
    The networking opportunities you are experiencing sound wonderful! I have been meeting many people in the art community here and being in an environment where people share your passions is truly inspiring.
    I also was hit by the blizzard! Everything even in New York (except the subways) was shut down, but it was beautiful to see the city that way. However it is ironic that both New York City and Washington D.C. would be shut down while Allegheny would never!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed reading your first post, it was interesting to see that, even though you did not travel abroad, you are still experiencing some level of culture shock. Luckily in Angers I was able to skip the snow, but French winter is basically Allegheny College spring. With all of the rain, I wish I could walk around in sweatpants, but like the area you are studying in, I would stand out like a sore thumb. I've found myself gravitating towards more plain and basic tops and jeans with nicer looking boots because that tends to be how the locals dress. If I was at Allegheny for this semester, I probably would be wandering around in Uggs and sweatpants every day instead of actually putting in an effort to look like an adult.
    I also wanted to comment on all of the international students you have been hearing since I have been experiencing the same thing here. Many of the students in my French courses are from the U.S., but there are also many students from Asia and other parts of Europe, so it is interesting to hear so many different languages when walking around. During my orientation, we also learned of an "international club" at my French university, and they are hosting an international dinner much like the one we did at Allegheny.

    ReplyDelete