Wednesday, January 13, 2016

The Five Senses; Duke Marine Lab



   I just arrived at the Duke Marine Lab yesterday. Not much has happened other than move in and orientation. I leave Monday morning for a travel course to the Virgin Islands until the end of January so my next few days are pretty packed.

   It's hard not to state the obvious touristy draw of my host destination. Its on Pivers island with ocean views from most of the campus buildings. Not so typical is the environment on the island. I look out across the water and see a bustling fishing community on one side and high rises and vacations home on another but looking behind me I see the remote community I'll be apart of this semester. It's necessary to deem a region of pier for swimming rather than research and equipment can be found anywhere you look. A multitude of marine environments can be seen right along the piers. They are readily available places for hands on research. Next to the Duke Marine lab is the NOAA Lab at Beaufort. These are the only two residences of Piver's Island. To enter the road that leads to these two facilities there's a gate requiring an access card.

       Currently at the Lab it's pretty quiet. You can here the waves crash throughout the day but so far the most consistent sound is the wind. At night you can here it rush against the buildings almost sounding like a storm. Taste is only experienced three hours of the day. There's one cafeteria that serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner at 8-9am, 12-1pm, and 5-6pm. Because the community dinning there is so small choices are slim but the foods been delicious. If a large group plans to go off campus for a meal its encouraged we let the dinning hall know so they can cook accordingly.

      I'm anxious to leave and start my courses at St. John's. It'll be another new environment to experience and take in but so far I'm excited for whats to come and loving the smell of sea water overtime I step outside.

1 comment:

  1. Cafeteria food can always be a hit or miss, I'm in Paris, living in the University dorms and to get a cheap and sometimes pretty good meal I go to the dinning hall in the University quarter. There are supposedly several cafeterias around Paris for university students that are supposed to be pretty good, but so far I've only gone to the one where all the dorms are. Its great because I can go and get a full meal for just 3.25 euros!

    ReplyDelete