Tuesday, January 26, 2016

The Five Senses: Bangaluru

Arriving in Bangaluru at 1 am I experienced a warm and somewhat humid climate with tall palm trees. Driving to the hotel that we called home for a week the other study abroad students and I experienced erratic driving, closed store fronts and garbage strewn roads and walk ways. Before going to bed I could not help but ask what had I gotten myself into.
 
However, the next morning I woke up to a bright and dynamic city filled with a plethora of colors and sights that I had never seen or experienced before. Each building here is painted in vibrant colors far from the brick, stone and panel siding that is the norm at home. The architecture itself is amazing, buildings are molded in all fashions with different shapes and amenities far from common at home. Each structure also has a balcony that its inhabitants can use to view different parts of the city. Even the auto rickshaws are colorful here decked out in green and yellow they weave in and out of traffic as they take their customers to their destination. 
If you want an accurate experience of what traffic is like in Bangaluru all you need to do is look to the auto rickshaws. It is a transportation experience like no other, in the chaos and congestion of traffic the auto drivers speed through cars, motorcycles and buses. During my first ride we narrowly missed three collisions on our way to our destination.
One of the most surprising things about Bangaluru is the constant symphony of sound that the city emits around the clock. At any given time you will hear cars honking (this is considered courteous driving here), dogs fighting in the streets, people conversing, birds singing and calls to prayers. As I am writing this the muslim call to sunset prayer is being played across the city. I have never experienced this call and it is really interesting especially coming from a home where many are so closed minded to Islam. Which leads me to another surprise, the integration and acceptance of all faiths and beliefs. In Bangaluru one experiences Hindus, Christians and Muslims among other religions and each regards the other with respect.
I have never met a more loving, caring and accepting group of people than the citizens of Bangaluru. My host father told us that God is in everything and everyone and that one must be willing to help and give to others even when they have little or nothing to give because that is the right thing to do. The people of Bangaluru truly live this in their day to day lives which has already helped make my visit here wonderful.



1 comment:

  1. Looks like you are having a good time! I can relate to the crazy driving, but maybe not as crazy as you've experienced. Riding a double decker bus, driving on the wrong side of the road is incredibly disorienting. I was convinced the traffic system was flawed and we were bound to crash.

    There seems to be a lot of religious influences in your experience abroud. This is very different from England, since no one is religious here, at all. Which I find very ironic because England is home to some of the oldest and most spectacular cathedrals and churches.

    It looks very sunny there, which I am very envious of since I may be suffering from vitamin D deficiency haha. However, I can relate to the loving people. The people in England are so polite and engaging it hurts. They certainly love their culture and heritage, which is lovely to see!

    ReplyDelete