Tuesday, January 26, 2016

The Five Senses: New York

I came to New York knowing that the city would be filled with nonstop stimuli, and I was right. Everything is intense and all at once: the sounds, the smells, the sights, and especially the people. The lights are unnecessarily bright so the sky never completely goes dark. The smells are wonderful or horrible with no middle ground. The  sights are massive to the point that any one person may be made to feel small, but this is balanced by the people who build you back up again with their insistence and  drive.

I did have a rare opportunity this past weekend during the winter storm Jonas. The city, the  streets, and even broadway were shut down due to the weather, and it allowed for a unique look of New York without the noise it is so well known  for.
At first, there were a few cars on the road, however by midnight there were none to be seen. So my roommate and I decided to walk the ten  blocks to Times Square to see what the bright streets there looked like without activity.  When we got there, we were surprised to come upon hundreds of other people who  decided to do the same thing, except now people had replaced cars  on the street. It was a combination of relaxing chaos, with the bright artificial light  shining down on  those just curious enough to venture out during  the storm. 

I would agree that I am still in the honeymoon phase of my journey, especially since I've been meeting so many inspirational people who I can really connect to. I don't get much sleep, and I am constantly  working on myself as an artist in conjunction with the  internship I  hold, but I  couldn't be happier to have no free time. At this moment I am, at least.

I work  with a singer-songwriter named Carol Lipnik, and this past Sunday night I worked my first show with her. She is so much more than just a singer--she is a performer. Her pieces have an air of connection with the audience that could bring you to tears should the song so imply.  Her uniqueness shines through and creates a safe space for creativity and love for the arts. Her act even included a "uniccordion".

That is, a unicorn playing the accordion. Through Carol I have met so many other amazing artists in all different fields already, and  the best part is that no matter how well respected they are as an artist, they respect and support me as an artist and encourage me to continue my passion.

New York can be seen as abrasive, in-your-face in  the  way that you just want to be alone, but what I have found is that if you have the right  people standing in front of you and being in  your face, then what they say tends to be exactly what you need to hear.

1 comment:

  1. The walk to Times Square sounds like an experience that will stay with you. New York can be very intimidating what with all of the people and just the massive size to the buildings themselves. However once you find a niche, like the artists your'e surrounding yourself with, you are able to personalize the city for yourself. I think this is why so many of the people that live there really call it home, because they are able to find these smaller communities that open you up to the greater city. Really a stimulating city that touches all the senses!

    ReplyDelete