Monday, January 25, 2016

The Five Senses: Paris (LT)


View of the Eiffel Tower from Pont
de Bir-Hakeim
A walk about Paris will provide lessons in history, beauty, and in the point of Life. -Thomas Jefferson

It has been two weeks since I arrived in this beautiful city and ever since I first stepped off the plane I have been overwhelmed. I have done a lot of walking around the city in my time off. On my first day, after sleeping a few hours forced upon me by jetlag, I woke up and proceeded to do a walking tour of Paris with a family friend. She took me first to all the touristy places in Paris; the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre, the Champs-Elysées, and then to all the more well known Paris secrets like the Opera, the Printemps, etc... I feel like walking allows you to enjoy the place you are visiting better. While in a car, a bus or a boat, you zoom on by too quickly to appreciate a monument's grandeur. So I walk everywhere and I return to my room almost everyday with feet that protest the abuse, and extremities that are frozen from the cold, but in walking I have found a truth in Thomas Jefferson's words. Paris is a city full of rich history, beautiful monuments and everyday pleasures, such as a good baguette, cheese and espresso, that help explain what is important in life.





Graffiti on the streets of Paris
You can feel the history that fills the city. The architecture of the buildings that loom about the streets, is basically the the mastery piece of years of stories. Even in the more modern quarters of Paris you are still privy to the tales that are painted on the faces of each building, in the form of graffiti. In some neighborhoods the little old buildings of long ago are still present, kept as a souvenir of the artists, politicians, and philosophers who walked their halls. Even at in my room at the University Dorms, with its marble floors and old but sturdy furniture, I can easily imagine the hundreds of students who must have stayed here my room over the years. I enjoy feeling connected to this history, in a way I feel a part of it and can appreciate it more.

Piano in Hotel-Dieu de Paris





Another treasure of Paris that I have experienced in my two weeks here has been the music heard in the metro. In my daily rides I am sure to hear some, it is my favorite thing about the metro. Musicians take advantage of the cavernous walkways to amplify their music and man can they play. I have listened to the rhythmic beating of drums, to guitarist playing and singing and to the songs of a Spaniard singing what sounded like a love song. But I believe my favorite is the music of a harpist that I have heard a few times now but have never seen.








Wine tasting at the Wine Museum
I can't talk about France and my time here without also talking about French wine. When my program started, one of the seminars that we participated in showed us how to appreciate French food and most importantly French wine. Our first organized school outing was to a wine museum followed by a wine tasting. During this excursion we learned all the tricks about wine tasting and got to taste 5 different wines from 5 very different regions of France. Unfortunately, at the time of this visit I was well into a cold that was brought on by not being properly dressed for a walking exhibition and therefore was unable to taste much and was only able to smell the strongest scents.
Having been here for two weeks now, I am still awed every time I see the Eiffel Tower. I still find myself wanting to take pictures of all the buildings in Paris. I am keeping a mental note of all the places I want to return to and so far everywhere I have been is on that list. At the moment Paris hasn't lost its magic, and I don't think it ever truly will. But what I do foresee potentially happening is that it will probably begin to dull. I will Nevertheless continue my walks and torturing my feet in an effort to gain a fuller and better understanding of this city's history, art and way of life.

Beautiful skies of Paris

3 comments:

  1. That Thomas Jefferson quote is wonderful! Since New York is also predominantly a walking city I have feet that are suffering from my curiosity as well. There is just so much to see!
    I can definitely relate to your affinity for the performers in the subway though. In New York there are so many aspiring artists that there isn't a subway stop without some kind of performance. The other day I came across a Native American band at Penn Station and I stopped and listened to them for so long I probably let three trains leave without me (thankfully I wasn't in a rush). I think the wonderful thing is that though those people don't have much money and have to sing in subways to perform, they're doing what they love and they appreciate anyone who takes the time to stop and listen. It's very inspiring.
    I am very jealous about your wine tasting experience, minus the fact that you had a cold. I have always wanted to learn how to discern between different types of wine because I think it's a very valuable and somewhat rare skill to have. It great to order a wine and have the waiter say "wonderful choice".
    I also understand how you feel about the Eiffel Tower, because I live very close to the Empire State Building and I always forget how masterful it is until I am standing outside looking up at it. I hope the feeling of awe doesn't fade, but I do hope that I can learn to stop holding up traffic always trying to take pictures of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After exploring several cities in England, I have found that everything is incredibly walk-able, which is so lovely. Just walking around such old cities, you can just soak up the history. When visiting Edinburgh, I walked the royal mile witch is the stretch between Edinburgh Castle and the Royal Palace. It felt like I was going back in time.

    Also, street art is very popular here. I have always been a big fan of street art myself. I visited Liverpool, which was filled with spectacular street art that has completely been embraced by the public. Liverpool is also home to many street art pieces by Banksy.

    I can relate to your experience with wine, however I have had much more interaction with beer and scotch whiskey. When in Scotalnd we sampled lots of different types of Scotch. I am traveling to Brussels this weekend and I look forward to sampling many of the local beers that Belgium is known for.

    I too, can relate to the awe of these places. I don't know if I will ever get used to the fact that there is a castle every 20 miles here. Maybe one day it will become casual. However, I don't see this happening anytime soon haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Living in Bangalore gives a different perspective of the modes one can discover their city abroad. In Paris, where traffic may be fast and sights zoom by way too quickly it might be hard to appreciate what is going on around you. In Bangalore traffic moves very slowly (i.e. walking pace) and is often stopped and all you need to do is have an intelligent auto driver who can tell you about the city around you to have an appreciation of the new world you are in.

    In lieu of wine, Bangalore is well known for their coconut milk. During our orientation week we learned how to ask for, pay for, and appreciate a fine coconut which can be a god save drink on an especially hot day and in the midst of an especially long walk.

    I also feel an amour for the architecture around me. The homes in Bangalore, save for the slum housing, are all so beautiful. I have taken photos of so many houses while walking around the city :p.

    ReplyDelete